2008年11月19日 星期三

From Seattle: see you soon.

Sandra,

I am so sorry I didn’t write sooner! Things have been very busy lately – I moved to a different condo building, we have been really busy with the Halloween decorating in xBox buildings and I have been having interviews. So, please forgive me this time… I will try not to let that happen again – will always write back to you even if it’s a short email.


Wow, so your eyes are OK now? How did your midterm go? Don’t forget to get some sleep – it’s the most important thing. We don’t always realize it but our health is the most precious thing. If we are not healthy, we cannot achieve anything. So, make sure you are able to balance your work, school and personal life. Hang in there… think of this year as a learning experience after which you can do bigger and better things!


Yes, I know about Zhong Shang hall – I went there a while ago. I can’t remember all the places I went to in Taiwan when I was little but I know that I have been in and around Taipei. Last time I went there, I went to 101, Miramar and then went to the Shilin night market. It was a lot of fun. Also, I have some good news. I will be coming to Taiwan 11/26-12/1. I am traveling first to Saigon 11/22 and then will go to Taipei. I already had a conversation with Grace (your MSFT internship PM) and will plan to spend 11/29 with you and other students at MSFT.



So, you mentioned last time that you are getting upset with no reason. I need to check in with you now… is everything better now? Did you lose weight? (I saw your picture and don’t think you have a weight problem… ). Did you act as a different person? Are you able to reject people asking you to do many things? I have the similar problem as you sometimes – it’s hard to say no because it feels like you are letting the other person down. Or you don’t want to hurt their feelings by saying no. But one thing I would suggest is that it is better to say no and let people reset their expectations rather than to say yes and then not be able to hold up to your promise or to end up killing yourself in work in order to keep your promise. We had a talk from one of the former CEO of our manufacturers, and the one thing he said that I always remember is “Never underestimate people’s desire to know the truth”. His meaning was that people want to know the truth as soon as possible, rather than be told everything is OK and then all of a sudden find out that things are not OK at all. I think this is very similar to saying no to people… so have courage! Say no, or give yourself more time to get something done. Or negotiate what needs to do get done or get others to help, if possible! And don’t put too much pressure on yourself. You are not complicated and I feel you are very strong. I think it is hard especially for women because we have so many different pressures. On one hand, people in the business world expect us to be strong and tough, but at the same time people still want us to be like a lady – soft spoken and sweet. And then, on our family side, we get pressure to find the right boyfriend/husband and to be the good sister/daughter/granddaughter and take care of the housing things. It is quite normal so don’t feel frustrated and worry about being professional or not – be yourself and don’t let others or work define you completely. Remember what makes you happy and keep in mind that having side talents and other interests may not be useful now but it most likely will in the future~ Anyways, I better get back to work! Take care!



Thanks,




Catherine Bedeski

沒有留言: